Sunday, June 19, 2011

Future Simple (Future Tenses)

EXAPLE:
  • I will clean up my room. I promise!
  • The telephone is ringing. I will pick it up!
  • I think it will rain.
  • He will stay there for hours, doing nothing.
The Future Simple is used in many situations such as when making promises or predictions.

USE:
  1. Promises
  2. Unplanned actions (spontaneous decisions)
  3. Predictions based on experience or intuition
  4. Habits (obstinate insistence, usually habitual)
USE 1: Promises The first use of the Future Simple to make promises.
Examples:
- I promise I will buy you this toy.
- Promise you will never leave me!

USE 2: Unplanned actions (spontaneous decisions) Use this tense also to talk about unplanned (spontaneous) decisions.
Examples:
- Don't worry! I will help you with this problem.
- I will close the window. It's starting to rain.

USE 3: Predictions based on experience or intuition We often use the Future Simple when making a prediction based on experience or intuition.
Examples:
- It will rain in a moment.
- It will get more difficult.

USE 4: Habits The last use of this tense is interesting: we can also use the Future Simple to express habits.
Examples:
- She will bit her lip if she is thinking or if she's nervous about something.
- He will always make noise when we are sleeping.

Form
Contracted forms 
WILL = 'LL
She'll dance = she will dance
WILL + NOT = WON'T
She won't dance = she will not dance

Declarative Sentences

  • I think he will regret his choice. (Use 3)
  • I will come back at 10 p.m. (Use 1)
  • If you will keep your watch half an hour slow it is hardly surprising that you are late for your appointments. (Use 4)
  • John will keep dropping his towel on the floor after a bath. (Use 4)
  • I will visit my grandma at hospital. (Use 1 or Use 2)
  • Let's buy the snacks at the supermarket – they will be cheaper. (Use 3)
Question


  • Will he be surprised when he sees me? (Use 3)
  • Will Mark be able to do the shopping before 10 a.m.? (Use 3)
  • Will there be plenty of people in church? (Use 3)
  • Will you study harder? (Use 1)
Negative Sentences

  • I won't take any heavy equipment with me. (Use 2)
  • I'm sorry I won't be able to help you with your English today. (Use 2)
  • I expect that Sally will not clean up her room, unless you help her. (Use 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment